Pages

Saturday, December 04, 2010

running in ice blocks


you have to back to 1901 to find a december that was as cold as the one we ran in Holland today! duncan and i raunthrough snow for almost 5 hours and slipped and slidded our way to the Hook of Holland.

It was a mamouth experience! it started in such great pain as our legs started working after the 30miles of yesterday. Profanities spilled from my mouth as I tried to come to terms with running on a dodgy knee. i whinced with pain every time it bent - which isn't great when you have 20 miles to go. Duncan was dealing with his own private hell and we got through singing various hits from Simon and Garfunkel.

the snow started to fall and the wind blew. Icicles formed on our hats and scarves. but it was going to take more than a blizzard to stop us! I got passed by a cyclist who wanted to know where i was running. I told him. 10mins later he returned pushing 35euros in my pocket. Amazing!

Duncan had to go faster than my shuffling pace and I lost sight of him after about two hours. From there it was just about taking every half hour. i didn't think the end would come but the euphoria when i finally saw the ferry was incredible.

the day was finished with an all you can eat chinese and the most amazing armed military policeman who was a sports masseur! he spent half an hour giving duncan and i a massage in the ferry terminal. I didn't even realise that Angels carried guns!

7 comments:

Emily said...

You are both amazing! Keep up the good work. Love Ruth xxx

Unknown said...

Dude, what an amazing story. Brilliant. Too bad the camera's were only before the run and not afterwards. Otherwise you would have been @ Sportnews. Tanx for the show.

Johnny said...

Brilliant effort! I am in awe!

J

LifeIsSweetBaby said...

I also am just in awe of you guys! Bless you for what you did! This cause has become my passion too...I just wish I could something more. Bless you!!

Unknown said...

I love that the cyclist came back and gave you a donation. Amazing and moving. Take care. Sleep long and see you soon.

Unknown said...

Guys,

This sounds like a proper epic day. WOW. Brilliant story. Hope u recover quick.
Keep on rockin', singing and running.

The dutchies, Eelke&Coen

Matt said...

Keep running guys the cause is worth it