Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

payoff run

today, i cashed in my chips for getting through three really tough runs. For the last three days, I have run like Quasimodo - shoulders hunched and dragging my painful leg behind me.

today, i warmed up and the leg felt stronger. As I started to run, the most amazing thing happened - there was no pain! I kept my head down and got into a groove. For the first time on this adventure, I wasn't holding people up - this time, I was out in front and wanted to stay there!

Duncan on the other hand was entering a different place. Every step sent shooting pains up his legs. He made it in the end but was in bits. I held him at the end as the whole frame of his body heaved with pain. I looked at him and pure courage looked back!

the support from so many people has been humbling. yesterday, two of Duncan's friends drove 2 hours each way to give us a massage. Phil Lane is anohter hero. He has cycled behind me for most of the route from Amsterdam - encouraging me, pusing me on. Today, he inspired me with a story of a woman he knew in Brussels. She had been trafficked to Brussels and Phil said that today, she was likely to be raped 5 times by 'clients'. That made me angry! Phil told us to put our pain in perspective and get out there!

the day ended in a doctor's surgery. His advice; stop running! Not likely...

I learnt a lesson today; there is a reward when you don't give up when the pain starts.

www.justgiving.com/markdrowland

No comments: