Pages

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

the final assault


Duncan and I completed over 1.1million steps and 140miles over 5 and half days and arrived in Soho Square at just before 11am this morning. It was done with a passion to raise awareness about the reality of human trafficking. People should not be bought and sold.

That said, i have taken off my running shoes and promised my battered feet never to get in those particular trainers again! some semblance of revenge for my feet, I suppose.

overall, I will remember this run not for the euphoric highs of completing each day - even though they were some of the sweetest moments of my life! I will remember this adventure for what it has taught me about pain and its benefits. Pain strips away your pretences. Pain pulls courage out of you. Pain forces you to rely on others. Pain helps you identify with the suffering of others. Most importantly, pain extinguishes the numbness of life and helps you cherish the good things.

I will also remember the sparks of kindness and generosity that we were shown along the way. I don't particulalry need my faith in humanity revived but there was plenty of evidence on offer as we ran. From Vince the masseur who gave up 2 hours of his time today to rescue our legs to the east london mini cooper driver who kept driving past us and shouting 'you can do it', we saw people at their best during this run.

a really big thank you to everyone who has supported Duncan and I in small ways and big!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome.