Skip to main content

indifference is unacceptable



in a world of spiralling injustice and poverty, why are so many of us unconcerned, unnaffected and disconnected?

despite globalisation, it seems our worlds are becoming smaller, our perspectives narrower.

my experience working on the thai/burma border augmented in me a conviction that we mustn't let a gulf between those who are suffering greatly and the rest of us remain unchallenged.

how can we find a way of inspiring this generation to be more engaged, more active, more alert and more compassionate? how much further can each of us grow in our capacity to be kind, couragageous, and loving? I believe it is possible to build an army of young people who are inspired to stand up for the marginalised, who will defend the rights of the innocent, who will take responsibility for the future of our planet.

returning from abroad, it becomes apparent that deep set indifference is common. that is not a judgement, it just the truth. yet the onus of us to live with compassion and reject apathy has never been more vital. like apartheid, indifference is justified and defended and seen as legitimate. Just like apartheid, we must fight against it until it too is viewed as an immoral world view from a different age.

we must acknowledge that we have become too self-absorbed. we have allowed great evil to prevail without lifting a finger of protest. we simply haven't cared even though we say we do.

a values revolution is necessary. it has to be modelled by example. it has to start with you and me.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

running in ice blocks

you have to back to 1901 to find a december that was as cold as the one we ran in Holland today! duncan and i raunthrough snow for almost 5 hours and slipped and slidded our way to the Hook of Holland. It was a mamouth experience! it started in such great pain as our legs started working after the 30miles of yesterday. Profanities spilled from my mouth as I tried to come to terms with running on a dodgy knee. i whinced with pain every time it bent - which isn't great when you have 20 miles to go. Duncan was dealing with his own private hell and we got through singing various hits from Simon and Garfunkel. the snow started to fall and the wind blew. Icicles formed on our hats and scarves. but it was going to take more than a blizzard to stop us! I got passed by a cyclist who wanted to know where i was running. I told him. 10mins later he returned pushing 35euros in my pocket. Amazing! Duncan had to go faster than my shuffling pace and I lost sight of him after about two hours. From...

Why am I running a 100 miles race? You may well ask!

    If you are going to do something that is hard, you better have a clear idea of why you are taking that course of action. Especially when it comes to running. Every reason you can find to persist is like a stave preventing a house from folding. So, this blog is part of my race strategy!   I picked up running in my early 30s and I haven’t stopped.   It’s been a brilliant way for me to process and organise my thoughts, deal with difficult emotions, build friendships and experience new vistas.   So, I’ve decided to try to run the South Downs Way 100 miles race in June and raise vital funds for the Mental Health Foundation , which I have the privilege to work for.   The goal is to complete the course in under 24 hours. I’ll need to get roughly 15,000 calories into my body, climb 12,700 feet and take at least 160,000 steps to reach the finish line. I know that if you give, every single donation will be another reason for me to keep going. ...

10 hopes of an expectant father…

Today, our first baby is due to arrive on the world stage. My life is about to change. It is a plunge, like no other, into the unknown. But this is what I hope for: 1. Please God, that the little one doesn’t inherit my knobbly knees 2. That she'll never be afraid to speak the truth and defend nobility 3. That she will want to hug and be hugged in return 4. That she'll pursue life with energy and a sense of adventure 5. That she'll be no doubt that she is a miracle of inestimable worth 6. That laughter is central in our journey 7. That she grows up thinking freely 8. That I’m not one of those pushy dads – living their dreams through their kids 9. That one day our child will say 'I was there when Brighton won the Premiership' 10. That she'll grow up inspired to live bravely ENDS